Monday, February 27, 2006

Apathy Jack writes:

I remember the brouchure they showed me when I was considering becoming a teacher: "Long holidays; knock off mid-afternoon; hot and cold running strikes; never put in a full day's work so long as you live!"

That's certainly what I had in mind this afternoon when I had last period off: Headed out the door at half past two, bus fare in hand.

An hour and a half later, I actually left school, sneaking out the back way to avoid the violence-prone parent camped out the front again whom I've managed to annoy, having to circle round to a nearby cashflow machine because I've given my bus fare to a student who had no way home.

I've watched Goodbye Mr Chips from start to finish, dammit, and all four seasons of Welcome Back Kotter - even after Gabe Kaplan left, and I don't remember this happening in any of it...

3 comments:

That Morthos Stare said...

As I have advised several students of mine who have mentioned going off to teach either Primary or Secondary, it's a vocational job and don't think about doing it unless you have the passion. Teaching at any level, whether it be early-childhood or adult education, is a job that takes up more time than the equations of General and Special Relativity physically allow for.

Psycho Milt said...

Don't these violence-prone parents have jobs to go to? Ah - er, I think I can guess at a connection here.

Span said...

You had so better mean shift work makes you grumpy in the afternoon, PM. Or you could mean, being out of work makes you grumpy and frustrated and alienated from the world. I'm prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt ;-)