Friday, June 16, 2006

Books You Should Be Reading # 14 Of A Bunch

Apathy Jack writes:

Girlbomb by Janice Erlbaum

My mother and I reconvened on the sidwalk.
"I think it's bullshit, Jan. I think this review process is a formality, and I don't even know what this 'waiting period' is about. Legally, you should be able to come home tomorrow if you want to. I'll check with Steinman. In the mean time, just hang tight, an we'll get you home over the holidays."
"Okay." I had to trust her. It was her or nobody, and I was tired of nobody.
Mavis and Sandy also doubted the decision. They cornered me in the living room, Mavis folding her big arms in front of me. "You think things are going to be different this time? Why?"
"Well, a lot changed... my stepfather is gone..."
Mavis peered at me. "But did you change, JuhNEECE? Or are you still the same girl that was taking drugs and messing around with boys?"
"Well, yeah, I changed." Before, I did all that stuff mostly out of boredom; now I did it at least partly out of spite.

No comments: