Monday, March 12, 2007

Musings Upon the New Avril Lavigne Single

Josh writes:

I just have two questions for Jack, before he hurtles off to Canada to have a million of her little panda-eyed babies:

  1. What the fuck?
  2. No, seriously, what the fuck?
No, wait -- those weren't the two questions I meant. They were:
  1. Is this, as I maintain, a wrong-headed attempt to pitch "Hey Mickey" nostalgia to a demographic that's too young to remember it?
  2. Or is it, as RSJS has suggested, simply re-tooling a tried and tested formula to make money out of a new generation?
One thing is for certain: the ultimate summation of Ms. Lavigne's alt-pop ethos (by which she is the delicately sculpted creation of an army of stylists, fired like a shotgun at several dozen different "alternative" teen market segments) can be expressed no better than in the line "I'm a motherfucking princess" with the word "motherfucking" half-blanked-out for radio play. Having distilled her entire musical presence into four words*, there's probably not much more for her to do on this plane of existence, so I'll be expecting her ascension to some crappy sitcom any day now.


* That said, My Chemical Romance did it in three (although one of those is an "OKAAAAAAAY" that goes on for several weeks), so maybe she could do better.

3 comments:

RSJS said...

For swift summations of musical style, pre-steroids Trent Reznor wins with "Hurt".

Apathy Jack said...

Yeah, honestly, even I'm not exactly sure quite what's going on there...

Rich said...

Some years ago I had a temp job in a lab washing bottles and sealing them into plastic bags. This was somewhat dull.

Also, my coworker's taste in music extended primarily to pop-punk chicks that she fancied - so we got non stop Avril Lavigne, Tatu, Alanis Morissette, etc, etc...

Drove me back into IT..