Friday, October 21, 2005

Apathy Jack writes:

Of course, I don’t think I’m going completely bugshit crazy, but there are worrying signs.

Over the last few days, for example, I’ve been mentally composing an incredibly in-depth argument proving that the song ‘4ever’ by young Avrilalikes The Veronicas is the pinnacle of feminist empowerment, because it is clearly a response to that dirty bastard Andrew Marvell. After all of the glass ceilings and decades of stilted or outright pyrrhic victories, we finally live in an age where women can threaten prudish men with hurrying chariots and hymen-eating worms and the like.

It’s the times when I convince myself that Avril and Avril (or whatever their names are) are actually intimately familiar with Marvell’s oeuvre and have intentionally written

Here we are so what you gonna do
Do I gotta spell it out for you
I can see that you got other plans for tonight
But I don't really care


as a direct response to and/or conscious revision of ‘To His Coy Mistress’. Those are the times that worry me.

There are more and more of those.

Did you know that The Veronicas wrote tATu’s comeback song ‘All About Us’?

Well, you should have.

Because it’s important, that’s why!

God I’m so tired.

No comments: