Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Apathy Jack writes:

"From time to time I meet people who say they are never bored; they are of two kinds; both, for the most part, liars. Some are equally entranced by almost all observable objects, a straggle of blossom on a whitewashed wall, chimneys against the sky, two dogs on a muck heap, an old man with a barrow... Precepts of my house master, a very indolent clergyman, rise before me... ‘only a dull boy is ever dull’... ‘the world is so full of a number of things’...

"Others find consolation in their own minds. Whenever they are confronted with a dreary prospect, they tell me, they just slip away from the barren, objective world into the green pastures and ivory palaces of imagination. Perhaps, by a kind of arrested development, some of them really have retained this happy faculty of childhood, but as a rule I find that both these boasts boil down to a simple form of pessimism – the refusal to recognise that any particular human activity can be of greater value than any other one."

-Evelyn Waugh

2 comments:

Matthew R. X. Dentith said...

Bloody Catholic.

Psycho Milt said...

Show me someone who's never bored and I'll show you someone who sets far too low a standard for his entertainment.