Friday, August 12, 2005

*tumbleweed*

Josh writes:

Quiet week on the ol' Brain Stab homestead. Powerful quiet. I don't know about the others, but my excuse is a persistent wee head cold that's kept me blurry enough that the most taxing mental exercise I'm currently capable of is trying to answer the question "will I go and see the new Dukes of Hazzard movie or not?" A harder choice than it appears.

I mean, I wasn't even a big fan of the original series (being too young to appreciate Catherine Bach and her cutoffs at the time), so I felt no initial motivation to relive my youth there, and I've since been even further put off by the redneck joygasm that is the video to Jessica Simpson's cover of "These Boots Were Made for Walkin'". I'm not sure what gets to me more, the bits where she exhorts her audience to holler southern cliches ("Can I get a 'soo-ee'!" "Can I get a 'yee-hah'!" "Can I get a 'yew got a purty mouth'!" and so on) or the bit at the end where the makers, having realised that their product is irredeemable and that the only way they could possibly keep people watching is to show Jessica Simpson writhing over the General Lee in a microscopic bikini, show Jessica Simpson writhing over the General Lee in a microscopic bikini.

On the other hand, I know more than one person in my circle of friends (hell, more than one person on this blog) who will be in hillbilly heaven watching Johnny Knoxville "h'yuck" it up with Willy Nelson looking on approvingly -- the looks of child-like glee on their faces could make sitting through the whole affair worth it...

1 comment:

RSJS said...

I prefer the term "emotionally crippled glee" to describe my upcoming Knoxathon. He's dreeeeeeamy.