Sunday, May 15, 2005

This is not funny at all. Not in the slightest.

Apathy Jack writes:

For the last few days I’ve been thinking of some manner of comment I can make on this story, but I’m genuinely at a loss for words. So I present it without comment.

Link to story.

For the link clicking challenged, or in case the page goes away or some such, here is the story transcribed:


Awareness day too much for fatigue group

Tomorrow is international awareness day but members of Nelson's chronic fatigue support service say they are too tired to arrange any activities.

The illness, which is officially known as myalgic encephalomyelitis, or ME, is characterised by incapacitating fatigue.

ME/CFS Nelson Support Group co-ordinator Anna Loach said though a few posters had been put in some libraries, the illness meant the group was not able to plan anything else to mark the awareness day.

Four of the group's five committee members suffer from the condition.

"They can feel great one day and the next they feel really burnt out."

Despite not having anything organised for tomorrow, Mrs Loach said the group was determined to expand services and support.

"They've really got the drive and they are positive about the cause."

The group has drafted a constitution and is seeking more funding to employ an area co-ordinator to support families in the wider Nelson region.

2 comments:

hoodooyoudo said...

Apparently I've had CFS ever since I "got over" glandular fever. Ironically the easiest way to manage it is to do something energetic - it increases your energy level temporarily. It's very easy to just do nothing though *sigh*.. and yeah, anyone who asks me how I am will invariably receive the ol' "really ----ing tired, so same old ;)" response.

I sympathise.. but it's also ironic and very amusing, despite what you say :P

Span said...

yep, that was my life for three years. Three very long years.

I found that I actually felt much worse after exercise - I remember vividly the excruciating pain I was in after attempting to go for a jog when I first got ill (pre-diagnosis). I actually could not walk up stairs for three days after this ten minute "run" (which was mostly walk). And then other days I would be basically normal.

Bastard illness. Someone should cure that. Right away please. (I don't think that's asking too much, do you?)