Sunday, February 03, 2008

Apathy Jack writes:

Hanging out with Goths as I do, there’s a trend that comes and goes sporadically (or, more accurately, that I notice on and off – I don’t presume it stops when I cease to pay attention): People whose dogs have run away and whose girlfriends have dumped them and whose grandmothers have died, declare “I am suffering from Clinical Depression™” and get themselves a prescription of whatever’s popular at the local druggist that day.

(Actually, last time this phenomenon swept the city’s goth clubs – well, club – well, basement – it wasn’t the goths themselves who were mainly falling prey, rather the Goth Moths; weirdoes who hang out at goth events in an attempt to score some Spookybooty™ - in short: people like me. But I got me some Spookybooty, so am unrepentant.)

Taking brain-altering drugs because one’s brain is wired wrong is sensible – it’s no different from splinting a broken leg or suturing torn skin. Taking brain-altering drugs because you’re sad and too lazy to process your issues, too spineless to confront your demons, or too cheap to buy a helmet - that’s just annoying.

But anyway, others have said this better than me, including Elizabeth Wurtzel in Prozac Nation which I just finished reading, so instead of me bleating on at you about it, here she is:

...

As Prozac becomes viewed as a silly drug for crybabies, an instrument of what Dr. Kramer calls “cosmetic pharmacology”, the people whom it might really help – the ones who need it – will start to think that Prozac won’t help them. In the rape-crisis debate that currently rages, many feminists argue that too loose a definition of rape results in not taking “real” rape seriously, while others claim that anyone who feels violated was violated – and what tends to get lost in all the screaming and yelling is that there are all these real people who are raped and are in terrible pain. It seems entirely possible to me now, given the tone of so many of the articles about Prozac, that people will forget how severe, crippling, and awful depression really is.

No comments: