Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Josh to Business Community: Nigga Puh-lease

Josh writes:

I was going to write something of substance on today's front page story, but then I figured, hell, I don't care about my political beliefs or economic ignorance, why should you?

A quick summary of my thoughts, though, since this "business confidence", "perception = reality" bollocks is the closest I have to a pet hate when it comes to things political/economic:

48% pessimism, eh? "Sends a chill", according to the editorial. Look at the graph of business confidence over the last three years*, though, and a few thoughts occur to this particular ignorant lefty:

  1. It is, as my father would say, all over the place like a madwoman's shit -- three 30-40 point zigzags over the course of three years? This is not what I would consider symptomatic of a community that knows where its shit is at.

  2. Following on from this, the last three times there were big dips in confidence, they rose back up fairly sharpish -- what's different about this one that it's a sign of the apocalypse?

  3. Now, as I say, I don't follow these matters too closely, but my understanding is that the economy's doing quite nicely, thank you, and has been for the last three years, while the business community has oscillated between "we're fucked" and "we're really fucked". Again, as a layman, the impression one gets is that these darlings of the right don't know their arses from their elbows.
Jack recently opined that a good way to become right wing is through repeated exposure to lefties -- I'd say the reverse is true, too.

* Not included in the online version of the article, but made available here though the magicks of modern technology.

No comments: