Saturday, January 13, 2007

I'm not saying you're wrong about everything - Just this thing...

Apathy Jack writes:

Alright, The Internet, I have a question for you.

Last night at the pub with a friend for his birthday drinks and I got hungry, so popped out to Burger King for whatever they’re calling food these days. While I was eating, I pulled out my book, because, you know, that's what you do when you don't have company (or when you've intentionally shunned company so you can catch up on your reading). I was then joined by my young friend Llama, who said that I was the only person he knew – possibly the only person in the world – who, in the course of a night out at the pub and a quick stop for fast food, would be reading a book.

Now, The Internet, I need you to back me up here: I'm the normal one, right? It's everyone else who has the problem.

Affirmations of my rectitude in the comments section.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, if I were out at the pub, and ended up going off to get some food, and no on else wanted to eat at that time, and I had a book with me, I'd probably read it. So, no, I don't think you're particularly unusual in that respect. And I was one of the people at that birthday thingy, so, you know.

Sir Arthur Streeb-Greebling said...

No, nothing unusual there. I always try to have something to read with me at all times. I always read on the ferry or bus and if I had something to read in Burger King I'd read there too.

Josh said...

Oh, I'll affirm your rectitude alright -- I'll affirm it so good you won't be able to walk!

Do you see what I'm doing there? I'm making an anal sex innuendo, based on the fact that "rectitude" sounds a bit like "rectum". I can't imagine anyone's ever thought of that before.

Anonymous said...

I always feel undressed without a book

Anonymous said...

reading's quite normal - but beer just so happens to be abnormally better.

Miss Smuggersham said...

I do it all the time - depending on the size of my bag, of course.

And now that someone up there mentioned rectum I will never read the word 'recitude' the same way again...

Anonymous said...

Really? I'll read the word "rectititude" exactly the same way I always did - and, in fact, the exact sam way Josh did.

With a childish giggle.

Miss Smuggersham said...

Great, now I am going to see 'tits' as well as rectum.

rectitude indeed!!

Mrs Smith said...

I know for a fact, that if I had just been to a pub, my eyes would be wholly incapable of focussing on a book. You are obviously not drinking nearly enough, so I cannot affirm your rectum, I'm afraid.

hoodooyoudo said...

Hmm.. yes I've done something similar... of course, I don't drink, so being at a pub without a book is a little strange.

Anonymous said...

I have retreated to the toilet so I could read my book in peace, as it was more interesting than the noise the band was making in the pub at the time. So to me, reading at Burger King makes perfect sense.
(Ms Spiderweb)

Span said...

I would do that too, but, as t-bird pointed out, it's dependent on whether or not I have a book, which in tern relies on the size of my bag.

So I think we can soundly conclude that Apathy Jack is not abnormal. In relation to the reading of books in places akin to Burger Kings when one is without company, anyway.