Thursday, October 26, 2006

Apathy Jack writes:

So my little prodigy sat in on my Classics class. Normally, I wouldn't have let her (what with the fact that she should have been in Maths) but she's impressed me of late. She's finished "The Corrections" and "House of Leaves", and is starting "The Ulysses" on a bet from her form teacher. She's told her peers not to compliment her on the stories she writes, because she doesn't know how to handle it. But she's finally believing it from me.

Her form teacher and I have finally broken her down so that she is realising how special she is.

She said that I had to implement Classics for Year 11, so that she could take it next year. I told her that it wasn't going to happen, but that there were vague plans to create Year 12 Classics for the following year, which is where she'd be by that point. She looked happy, but I gave her the caveat: This plan was conditional on me getting around to doing it, and my laziness is the stuff of legend - I may simply not get around to it.

"You will," she said matter of factly.

"How can you be sure?" I asked.

"Because," she said, as if she was explaining something self-evident to a slow child. "It's me."


And you know, she might be right.

5 comments:

RSJS said...

Chicken soup for my arse.

That Morthos Stare said...

I presume you mean the 400 Series? My man-wife and I have been using one of these co-extensively for three months now and we're four belt loops ahead of the curve.

Thanks Molliners.

Apathy Jack said...

Yeah, I finally tracked down "House..." at the internet H2F, but not having a credit card, I had to trek across to the North Shore and buy it in person...

Sam: She thought it was remarkably frustrating, but entirely compelling, and disliked me intently for giving it to her, because she wanted to stop reading it, but couldn't.

Oh, and remember people: Only Revolutions is out now. I've got my copy. (Actually, my prodigy has my copy - I left it in my bag the day after I bought it, so it went away...)

Apathy Jack said...

Oh, and Phats: Unity books on High Street have a couple of copies.

Anonymous said...

"is starting "The Ulysses" on a bet from her form teacher."


Does this teacher hate her?
also, stop killing trees, HoL and many many other fine books are available from Auckland Public Linbraies. Which are a damn sight finer than the Waltham Forest Public Library System, I must say.
(Though not as good as the library in Shepherds Bush where I found a copy of A Small Killing signed by Alan Moore AND Oscar Zarate)